Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 04/14/2014 -- Pharmaceutical sales in Belarus are poised to recover as the fallout from the breaking of the potash joint venture Uralkai-Belaruskali subsides, and the risk of currency devaluation temporarily relents. However, Belarus must now contend with the consequences of Ukrainian instability and the impact of this on the region's economies. There are significant downside risks to our forecast for 2014, due to the threat of further currency depreciation, a collapse in exports and absolute erosion of consumer purchasing power.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Pharmaceuticals: BYR8,927bn in 2013 (US$1.00bn) to BYR10,783bn (US$1.08mn) in 2014; +20.8% in local currency terms and +7.9% in US dollar terms.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Healthcare: BYR24,909bn (US$2.80bn) in 2013 to BYR28,874bn (US$2.90bn) in 2014; +15.9% in local currency terms and +3.5% in US dollar terms.
In our latest Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) matrix, Belarus is 17th out of the 20 countries surveyed in the Central and Easter Europe (CEE) region, having considerably improved since the start of the year. However, although its Rewards variables (and in particular its Industry Rewards) are favourable, Belarus will continue to represent a very risky market on account of unresolved issues, such as the lack of patent protection, corruption and political tensions.
Key Trends And Developments
- Russia's preferential treatment rules in government procurement have been expanded to include Belarusian exports. Two unnamed Indian companies have reportedly begun preparations to localise production of generics in Belarus, according the Belarusian ambassador to India.
- In September 2013, the Belarusian government was reported to be planning to open an anti-cancer drug plant in Skidel, with the cooperation of an Indian company, reported Belarusian Telegraph Agency (BelTA), citing Viktor Zalessky, the director general of Belmedpreparaty. Zalessky made the statement during Belarusian Prime Minister Mikhail Myasnikovich's visit to Belmedpreparaty's production site in Skidel.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Croatia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Bangladesh Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Bulgaria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Thailand Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Kazakhstan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Lebanon Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Japan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014