Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 07/21/2012 -- Chilean sales of consumer electronics devices are forecast to grow 10% in 2012, with many of the trends that drove consumer electronics spending in 2011 expected to continue in 2012. Private consumption growth will likely moderate in the coming quarters as the central bank's monetary tightening cycle feeds through the domestic economy. However, banks are increasingly willing to extend credit and the unemployment rate is ticking downwards, contributing to our overall growth outlook for spending on consumer electronics devices such as PCs, flat-screen TV sets and smartphones. The fundamentals of low household penetration of many digital devices, plus growing affordability, should keep the consumer electronics market on an upward trajectory
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer sales: US$1.4bn in 2011 to US$1.5bn in 2012, +13.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged due to stronger than expected retail sales growth in H211.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
AV sales: US$1.3bn in 2011 to US$1.4bn in 2012, +8% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with flat-screen TV sets expected to provide the most dynamic development.
Handset sales: US$341mn in 2011 to US$365mn in 2012, +7% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged, with smartphones the main revenue growth driver.
Chile's score was 53.7 out of 100.0, with solid country structure and CE market scores resulting in it gaining fourth place in our Americas CE RRR table. BMI expects rising penetration of consumer electronics devices such as smartphones and flat-screen TV sets.
Key Trends & Developments
- PC unit sales growth is now expected to be more moderate compared to that reported in 2011, when sales were estimated at around 2.3mn. Despite the expected deceleration, vendors are still forecasting double-digit growth in 2012. In H111, shipments of laptops were up by around 30%, according to figures from local IT association
- In 2012 there should be solid growth in the Chilean AV device market. Government social programmes and rising household incomes are expected to fuel demand for consumer durables such as TV sets. The approval by Chile's lower house of parliament in 2011 of a digital TV bill, has boosted the country's migration to digital broadcasting.
- There should be increasing take-up of smartphones in the consumer segment as there is a greater range of devices available at prices that more and more subscribers can afford. Vendors reported strong growth in smartphone sales in 2011, despite the emergence of tablets as a rival connectivity device. Chilean operators have taken an active role in trying to grow this market.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Consumer Goods research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Czech Republic Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Bulgaria Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Peru Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Indonesia Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Philippines Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- South Africa Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Mexico Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Turkey Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Russia Consumer Electronics Report Q2 2012
- Hungary Consumer Electronics Report Q2 2012