Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 12/27/2012 -- The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)'s vast mineral resources will continue to attract greater international interest, given the country's huge untapped and high-grade reserves and an improving, though still very poor business environment. In terms of growth potential, the industry is one of the most attractive in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), as we forecast the sector to almost double from 2011 levels to US$2.6bn in 2017, mostly driven by copper and gold production. However, while we expect substantial growth in mining output, risks to investment remain numerous with security concerns and lack of adequate infrastructure most pressing.
Ore To Play For
After half a century of decline and unrealised potential, the DRC's mining sector is on the verge of rapid growth, as several huge gold deposits are developed in the country. Numerous large-scale projects are coming online over the next five years, with Randgold Resources' Kibali gold mine expected in 2013 perhaps the most notable. The mine has reserves of 13mn ounces (moz) and is one of the largest gold projects due to come online in the next few years. As well as gold, there are several significant copper projects due to come online. In addition to their size, the copper deposits in the DRC are attractive due to their high copper grade. The Kipoi and Kamoto mines are estimated to contain grades above 3.0%, which is significantly higher than the world average of 0.6%. This will be an increasingly important issue as some of the world's largest mines, including Antamina in Peru, Escondida in Chile and Grasberg in Indonesia, have experienced falling ore grades and thus higher extraction costs.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
While the potential is clear, political impediments are likely to remain, as conflict continues in the east of the country, where much of the mining occurs. The potential for political ructions will continue to pose downside risks to mining sector growth.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Materials research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- South Africa Mining Report Q1 2013
- United States Mining Report Q1 2013
- Angola Mining Report Q1 2013
- China Mining Report Q1 2013
- Canada Mining Report Q1 2013
- Mining Quarterly Deal Analysis: M&A and Investment Trends - Q1 2012
- Global Mining Survey 2012-2013: Market Trends, Marketing Spend and Sales Strategies in the Global Mining Industry
- Global Mining Survey 2012-2013: Market Trends, Buyer Spend and Procurement Strategies in the Global Mining Industry
- Industry Dynamics, Growth, Threats & Opportunities in the Mining Industry - 2012-2013 : Survey Intelligence
- Supplier Marketing Spend Activity, Marketing and Sales Behaviors and Strategies in the Mining Industry - 2012-2013 : Survey Intelligence