Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 04/10/2014 -- Governments and regulatory bodies across the world have enforced numerous measures to curb irresponsible lending practices by banks and other credit institutions. These bodies have also taken initiatives to create consumer awareness about prudent borrowing to avoid excess debt. Excessive fees and interest rates on loans, lack of disclosure of products' terms and conditions, and deceptive debt-collection practices by banks and credit institutions contributed significantly to the financial crisis in the US and other developed economies in 2008-2009. The phenomenon of responsible lending has assumed increased urgency since the global financial crisis, and has become a priority for governments and other regulators in many countries which are increasingly concerned about the consequences of irresponsible practices in the financial sector, particularly in banking.
The US was the country most affected by the financial crisis, and was at the forefront of enforcing responsible lending practices in the banking industry to restore consumer confidence in, and stability to, the industry. In this regard, the government and regulators have implemented several regulations, including the Credit Card Act 2009, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform (widely known as Dodd-Frank) and the Consumer Protection Act in 2010, as well as the Truth in Lending Act, 2010 Regulation Z for property loans. The European Banking Authority, along with a number of European economies such as the UK, Germany and Poland, have also enforced several regulations. Banks and credit institutions are now required to provide customers with understandable information about the risks and benefits of credit products so they can make informed decisions and protect themselves from illicit practices.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- The improper marketing and advertising of loans and other financial products encourage reckless borrowing by consumers. Low levels of consumer financial literacy have created an unclear lending situation between lender and borrowers.
- The non-availability of guidelines by monetary authorities can sometimes pose a challenge for banks, hindering the successful implementation of responsible lending. A lack of guidelines can lead banks and credit institutions to develop their own measures to comply with regulations.
- The growing middle classes in Latin America are driving demand for credit. The strict implementation of responsible lending regulations will decrease NPL rates over the forecast period (2013-2017).
- In South Africa, there is a varying pattern of highs and lows in the NPL ratio, suggesting unclear monetary regulation in the country. This is due to continued reckless lending practices by banks, and the unsuccessful implementation of the National Credit Act.
Companies Mentioned in this Report: Bank Negara Malaysia, JP Morgan, Sberbank of Russia, Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), Wells Fargo
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Financial Services research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Insight Report: Mobile Entrepreneurs
- Insight Report: Best Practice - Ensuring Optimal Customer Service and Relationship Management
- 2020 Foresight Report: Best Practices in Implementing Mobile Payments
- 2020 Foresight Report: Best Practices in Managing the Credit Risk Cycle
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc. - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Insight Report: Best Practices for Credit Cards for Mass Affluent Consumers
- 2020 Foresight Report: Business Strategy for Targeting HNWIs - Emerging Opportunities, Trends and Profitable Operating Models in Asia-Pacific
- Insight Report: Regulation in Global Banking
- Global Beverage Survey 2013-2014 - Market Trends, Marketing Spend and Sales Strategies in the Global Beverage Industry
- Global Food Industry Survey 2013-2014 - Market Trends, Marketing Spend and Sales Strategies in the Global Food Industry