Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 01/30/2014 -- Bladder cancer is a urologic malignancy arising from the epithelial lining of the urinary bladder. Although it is the ninth most common cancer worldwide in men and women, with the highest recurrence rate of any malignancy, relatively little is known about its etiology. There has been little development over the past 20 years in bladder cancer, with a huge void of unmet met needs which are yet to be filled.
The disease can be spilt into three main categories; NMIBC (non-muscle invasive bladder cancer), muscle invasive disease and metastatic disease. The standards of care within all of these settings are generics; BCG immunotherapy/ mitomycin c (NMIBC) and the off label use of GemCis (muscle invasive disease and metastatic disease).
Progression and recurrence rates are relative to clinical stage, but are generally high, especially for patients with the aggressive carcinoma in situ (CIS) classification. This is one patient subgroup which has particularly high unmet needs.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
There are clear unmet needs for higher efficacious drugs that can reduce progression and recurrence rates as well as cure the disease, surprisingly big pharma seems to have taken a back seat in development, instead collaborating with independent researchers to head trials with their already marketed drugs. Most of the current pipeline is being investigated by small-medium sized biotech's.
Key Questions Answered
- Which bladder cancer patient segments have the greatest unmet needs?
- What are the R&D strategies companies are pursuing in the bladder cancer space?
- Why has there been a void of interest from big pharma in this highly underserved market?
- What are the most promising pipeline agents for bladder cancer? How do their clinical and commercial attributes compare to one another?
- What opportunities will remain for future players following the launch of these pipeline agents?
- What is the potential for predictive biomarkers and targeted therapies in the bladder cancer setting?
- GlobalData forecasts the bladder cancer market in the 6MM to grow modestly from $239.3m in 2012 to $297.5m in 2017, at a CAGR of 4%. The main driver of growth in the global bladder cancer market will be the increase in number of incident cases across the study period in the 6MM and the entrance of EOquin into the market towards the end of the forecast period.
- Although the level of unmet need in the bladder cancer market is high, KOLs are generally not impressed by any of the pipeline products and they do not expect any of them to drastically change the treatment landscape. The unmet needs will hence remain after the forecast period in turn rendering the bladder cancer market as highly lucrative and commercially viable for developers.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Opioid-Induced Constipation - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Late-Stage Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Uveitis - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Acute Ischemic Stroke - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2017
- OpportunityAnalyzer: Diabetic Foot Ulcers - Opportunity Analysis and Forecast to 2017
- European Drug Delivery Technologies Market (Metered Dose Inhalers, Needle-Free injectors, Auto-injectors, Nasal sprays, Transdermal Patches, Nebulizers, Infusion Pumps, Drug Eluting Stents, Sustained Release, Ocular Implants) - Forecasts to 2017