Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 12/13/2012 -- BMI View: The Cambodian and Laotian telecoms markets are similar in several ways. Both countries have a relatively well-developed mobile sector, although prepaid subscriptions are the norm, resulting in low ARPU levels. Their fixed-line industries are still expected to experience growth at least until 2016 but mobile substitution is becoming an increasing threat, especially when operators step up their rural expansion plans. The mobile-over-fixed scenario is also likely to play out in the broadband segment, considering the lower cost associated with mobile broadband products and services.
- Cambodia's mobile subscriber forecast has been upgraded following new data. We expect about 30mn subscribers by 2016, although the actual number would be lower in light of inactive subscriptions and multiple SIM ownership.
- We expect muted growth in both Cambodia and Laos' fixed-line market due to the substitution threat from mobile services. We forecast their fixed-line penetrations to reach 5.1% and 2.6% in 2016 respectively.
- Adoption of fixed broadband services is forecast to remain slow in light of a lack of network coverage and high cost barriers. By 2016, the fixed broadband penetration rates are expected to reach 0.9% and 4.5% in Cambodia and Laos respectively.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends & Developments
After more than one and a half years since the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications of Cambodia announced in February 2011 that it was looking at the formation of a regulator, the ministry finally announced in September 2012 the establishment of the Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia.
In August 2012, Lao Telecommunications entered into a partnership deal with Thailand's state-owned telecoms operator CAT Telecom, reports the Lao News Agency. The deal is designed to offer international leased line services through multiprotocol label switching (MPLS). The networks of the firms are linked along common borders between the two countries, thereby offering services to link sites of business clients to branches and trade partners overseas through MPLS.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Central America Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Kenya Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Australia Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Japan Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Sweden Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Argentina Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Italy Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Hong Kong Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Hungary Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Singapore Telecommunications Report Q4 2012