Lewes, DE -- (ReleaseWire) -- 08/01/2014 -- Pipeline Agents Aim to Address Unmet Needs of Advanced Patients in Limiting OFF Time
Most of the late-stage pipeline agents are set to meet the needs of advanced patients, with five agents expected to launch during the forecast period (Rytary, CVT-301, opicapone, safinamide, and tozadenant); three of them will be used almost exclusively in advanced patients (CVT-301, opicapone, tozadenant). Additional launches of currently marketed drugs in specific markets will include Duodopa in the US and Japan; Neupro in the US, Japan, and Brazil; Nouriast in the US, 5EU, and Japan; Apokyn in Japan; and Requip XL in Japan. GlobalData believes that Newron's safinamide, Impax's Rytary for early and advanced patients and Civitas' CVT-301 for advanced patients are most promising.
Newron and Zambon’s dual-mechanism MAO-B and glutamate release inhibitor, safinamide, is expected to be a strong competitor in the Parkinson's disease market for early and advanced-stage Parkinson's disease patients, with forecast global sales of $423.2m in 2022. Safinamide is likely to be prescribed over MAO-B inhibitor Azilect (Teva/Lundbeck), due to novel activity as a glutamate release inhibitor.
Impax's Rytary is a slow-release formulation of levodopa that has shown good efficacy and improvements in QOL during clinical trials. Impax is currently finalizing regulatory issues and seeking a new partner for Rytary's ongoing clinical development. In all, the pipeline candidate is forecast to generate sales of $205.3m by 2022, following a late 2014 launch in the US.
Civitas' CVT-301 is a novel reformulation of levodopa and the first inhaled device for Parkinson's disease. It is expected to be the first widely used emergency therapy to meet a key unmet need in wearing-off. Forecast to garner strong sales of $460.1m in 2022, Civitas will likely require partnership for the marketing and sales of its product.
UCB/Biotie's tozadenant is expected to be the second-to-market A2A antagonist that will be used to treat advanced patients, despite limited efficacy in Phase II trials. As a strong player in the Parkinson's disease market, owing to UCB's longstanding presence in the US market and extensive portfolio for Parkinson's disease, tozadenant is forecast to generate global sales of $29.9m in 2022.
Key Questions Answered in this Report
- According to KOLs, what are the most important unmet needs in PD? Will these needs be addressed by pipeline agents? What needs will remain by the end of the forecast period in 2022?
- With five new product launches, three of which address the needs of advanced stage patients, which products are forecast to generate the highest sales over 2012-2022?
- What corporate strategies have been employed for recent product launches? What opportunities remain for new entrants?
- An aging population is expected to increase prevalence of PD in all markets from 2012-2022. How will epidemiological changes impact the growth of the future PD market?
- What governmental developments are likely to affect reimbursement and generic erosion of PD drugs? What type of impact will this have on the markets covered over the forecast period?
Spanning Over 327 pages, “PharmaPoint: Parkinson’s Disease - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022” report covering the Disease Overview, Epidemiology, Disease Management, Competitive Assessment, Opportunity and Unmet Need, Pipeline Assessment, Current and Future Players, Market Outlook, Appendix. The report covered companies are - Merck, Roche, AbbVie, UCB, GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, Orion, Newron, Civitas, Impax, Lundbeck
See Table of contents & Purchase this publication at: - http://mrr.cm/ZQd
About Market Research Reports, Inc.
Market Research Reports, Inc. is the world's leading source for market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest market research reports on global markets, key industries, leading companies, new products and latest industry analysis & trends.
For regular industry updates subscribe to our newsletter at: