Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 06/20/2014 -- Similar to 2012, the price war between grocery retailers continued in 2013; however, to a lesser extent. As an answer to the strong Swiss franc against the euro, and the high volume of cross-border shopping, grocery retailers lowered their prices to stay competitive. Prices in Switzerland are slowly stabilising, due to a more stable exchange rate with the euro and price reductions in previous years.
Grocery retailers in Switzerland is by and large a two-horse race. In 2013 Migros led with a 32% value share, followed by Coop with 24%. These companies led supermarkets and hypermarkets in 2013 - Coop is the major supermarket chain, whilst Migros leads hypermarkets. Migros and Coop share all sales in hypermarkets between them in Switzerland, since all outlets of the Groupe Magro-owned HyperCasino were closed in spring 2013, due to bankruptcy. With its MMM Migros hypermarket concept, Migros has a comfortable lead in hypermarkets, ahead of smaller Coop Megastores.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
According to trade sources, the rather limited changes seen in grocery retailers in Switzerland over the review period are expected to continue over the forecast period, with no significant changes expected, at least in the short to medium term to 2018. Most agree that by then, internet retailing will play a considerably more important role in grocery retailing, with effects on all different channels and formats.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Grocery Retailers industry in Switzerland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Grocery Retailers industry in Switzerland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Grocery Retailers in Switzerland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed market shares for international and locally-based retailers
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- How is grocery retailing performing in Switzerland?
- Are consumers switching towards more convenient grocery channels?
- Are independent and family run grocery stores coming under pressure in Switzerland?
Reasons to Get this Report
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Retailing research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Leisure and Personal Goods Specialist Retailers in Peru
- Grocery Retailers in Turkey
- Retailing in Germany
- Retailing in Poland
- Grocery Retailers in Brazil
- Retailing in Mexico
- Retailing in China
- Retailing in Indonesia
- Retailing in the Czech Republic
- Retailing in Colombia