Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 06/23/2014 -- Lower purchasing power and sluggish economic recovery had an impact on the performance of overall mixed retailers in 2013. Consumers became increasingly price-sensitive, resulting in more cuts in spending. This therefore changed the pricing strategies of mixed retailers, to help them carry on attracting consumers and increase their household penetration rate. Mixed retailers therefore chiefly moved to offering price decreases to maintain their shares in South Africa.
Massmart Holdings led mixed retailers in 2013. The company strengthened its leading position in South Africa thanks to a wider product range. The addition of food under the Foodco brand in its outlets, such as Game within mass merchandisers and Makro within warehouse clubs, enabled Massmart to increase its value share in 2013. In addition, Massmart remained a fierce competitor within mixed retailers thanks to its aggressive pricing strategy, such as offering price cuts for its products.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Mixed retailers is expected to increase by a value CAGR of 3% at constant 2013 prices over the forecast period. The channel is expected to see dynamic competition in South Africa, thanks to the growing presence of international brands in the country. However, the forecast growth is slower than the review period CAGR. This can chiefly be explained by the fragile economic climate due to high inflation, resulting in slower consumer demand due to rising disparities between consumers' incomes over the forecast period.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Mixed Retailers industry in South Africa with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Mixed Retailers industry in South Africa, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Mixed Retailers in South Africa market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed market shares for international and locally-based retailers
- Historic number of stores, selling space and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- How big is the Mixed Retailers channel in South Africa?
- Who are the leading retailers in South Africa?
- How are mixed retailers competing against the growth of grocery retailers?
- Are consumers switching towards value retailers or moving upmarket?
Reasons to Get this Report
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Retailing research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Retailing in South Africa
- The Future of Retailing in South Africa to 2017
- Specialist Retailers in South Africa: Databook to 2017
- Grocery Retailers in South Africa
- General Retailers in South Africa: Databook to 2017
- Retailing in South Korea
- Consumer Attitudes and Online Retail Dynamics in South Africa, 2013
- Mixed Retailers in South Korea
- Value Retailers in South Africa: Databook to 2017
- Apparel Specialist Retailers in South Africa