Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 07/31/2014 -- In 2014 the port of Odessa will continue holding the top position in Ukraine's maritime sector in terms of container throughput and one of the top positions in terms of total tonnage, after overtaking the port of Illichivsk in terms of boxes handled in 2010.
Odessa is in a strong position to build in 2014. The operator of the container facility at the port, HPC Ukraina, the Ukrainian unit of Germany's Hamburger Hafen Und Logistik AG (HHLA), is seeking to increase the port's role in the global container shipping sector by developing it into a direct port of call, thereby decreasing Ukraine's reliance on the Romanian port of Constanta for its box transhipment. The first phase of a new deepwater container terminal is expected to commence operations in 2014.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Over the medium term we project further growth both in terms of total and box throughput at the port of Odessa and in Illichivsk, Ukraine's second largest container facility, where Ukrtranscontainer (UTC) resumed its operations.
In the long term, the country's ports might benefit from Ukraine's newly adopted seaports development strategy, which is aimed at the country's seaports increasing their total cargo handling to 210mn tonnes per year and their combined annual throughput capacity boosted to 250mn tonnes by 2038, although these figures might be adjusted for the loss of Crimean ports.
Headline Industry Data
- 2014 port of Odessa tonnage throughput forecast to grow 15%; over the medium term we project a 25% increase.
- 2014 port of Odessa container throughput forecast to decrease by 1%; over the medium term we project a 7% increase.
- 2014 total trade growth forecast at 4.97%.
Key Industry Trends
Ukraine Warns Crimean Port Waters Not Safe: Port authorities of Ukraine have warned the International Maritime Organization (IMO) that they cannot guarantee the safety of navigation in waters around Crimean ports. According to the country's officials, there is a 'high level of risk' on the port approaches...
The Ukraine Shipping Report has been researched at source and features latest-available data and Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent forecasting, critically analysing international transport of dry bulk and containers. The report evaluates the global commodities and trade backdrop, alongside in-depth country-specific analysis of trade prospects. The report also contains company profiles covering leading multinational and national shipping companies and analysis of latest industry news, trends and regulatory developments in Ukraine.
BMI's Ukraine Shipping Report provides industry professionals and strategists, sector analysts, business investors, trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the shipping industry in Ukraine.
- Benchmark BMI's independent shipping industry forecasts for Ukraine to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Ukrainian shipping market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Ukraine through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments.
- Exploit the latest competitive intelligence and company SWOTS on your competitors and peers including multinational and national companies.
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts, views and trend analysis covering shipping, major investments and projects and significant multinational and national company developments.
SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis of the state's shipping sector, which carefully evaluates the short- and medium-term issues facing the industry.
Analysis of the capacity, terminals and planned development of the major ports in each country, including data on throughput and total tonnage.
Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2008-2012) and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry and macroeconomic indicators (see list below), supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
Major port freight throughput (tonnes/teu); overall freight throughput (teu); total imports (US$bn) and exports (US$bn).
Company profiles include business activities, leading products and services, company strategy, trends and developments and economic performance analysis.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Transportation research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Venezuela Shipping Report Q3 2014
- Taiwan Shipping Report Q3 2014
- Oman Shipping Report Q3 2014
- Saudi Arabia Shipping Report Q3 2014
- Iran Shipping Report Q3 2014
- India Shipping Report Q3 2014
- Brazil Shipping Report Q3 2014
- United States Shipping Report Q3 2014
- Russia Shipping Report Q3 2014
- Pakistan Shipping Report Q3 2014