Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 06/18/2014 -- The global plastics industry is observing a continuous shift of production bases to low-cost Asian countries. With increasing foreign investment and rise in the number of new manufacturing establishments in the region, Asia has become the largest and the fastest growing market for plastics in the world. In particular, China and India offer enormous growth opportunities due to expanding production activities in the countries. Growth in plastic industry in India was boosted after the economic liberalization in 1991. The subsequent deregulation and privatization resulted in resurgence in all the end-user sectors such as packaging, construction, telecom, automotive and white goods.
Packaging sector is the largest application sector for the plastic industry, representing almost 60.0% the total plastics demand in FY'2013. Estimated at ~ million tons in FY'2013, plastic consumption for packaging in India is expected to reach 10.0 million tons by 2020. The FMCG sector compiled with rise in capital investment pose as the key growth drivers for the packaging industry in the country. The consumer base for several commodities in India, especially FMCGs is expanding due to the rising disposable income of the population.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The demand for packaging of these products has lead to the development of the plastic packaging industry in the country. Among the vast family of plastics, Polyethylene Terephthalate, popularly known as PET, is expected to grow the fastest at 11.0% annually. Majority of the PET available in India is utilized in the production of bottles. In the recent years, PET bottles have inundated the Indian market, with annual growth rate in consumption exceeding 20.0%.
PET is constantly replacing conventional bottle raw materials such as glass and metal. Apart from being lightweight, PET offers several other advantages such as pack weight reduction, ease of handling and longer shelf life of packaged goods. Furthermore, PET bottles are persuasive in terms of sustainability, technical performance and aesthetics. PET packaging is increasingly being used in healthcare and personal care products, packaged foods and beverages markets. Advancements in packaging material science and mounting demand for product protection and stability are further driving demand for PET bottles in India.
The demand for preforms is directly driven by the consumption of PET bottles in India. The production of PET preforms in India in FY'2008 was estimated to be ~ thousand tons, which has been growing at 19.2% CAGR to reach ~ thousand tons in FY'2013. In terms of turnover, the preforms market in India in FY'2013 was INR ~ million and has been growing at 20.1% CAGR from INR ~ million in FY'2008. Preforms are manufactured for different end user applications, comprising segments such as carbonated soft drinks, packaged drinking water, alcoholic beverages and others.
Companies Mentioned in this Report: Manjushree Technopack Ltd, Sunrise Containers Ltd., Chemco Plastic Industries Ltd., National Polyplast (India) Ltd, Parle Agro Pvt. Ltd
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Materials research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Industry Outlook in Asia Pacific to 2017 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends, Capacity Forecasts of All Active and Planned Plants
- Plastic Films & Plastic Sheets Market by Application (Flexible & Non-Flexible Packaging, & Non-Packaging) & Type (LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE, CPP, BOPP, Polyester, PVC, Polyamide, EVOH, PLA, PVDC, PVOH, Polycarbonate & Others) - Global Trends & Forecasts to 2018
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Industry Outlook in Europe to 2017 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends, Capacity Forecasts of All Active and Planned Plants
- Biopolymers/Bioplastics Market - Trends & Forecasts to 2018
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Industry Outlook in North America to 2017 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends, Capacity Forecasts of All Active and Planned Plants
- Packaging Film Market By Application (Food, Medical & Pharmaceutical, Consumer Product, Industrial & Others) & Type (LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE, CPP, BOPP, Polyester, PVC, Polyamide, EVOH, Cellulose, PLA, PVDC, PVOH & Others) - Global Trends & Forecast to 2018
- Beverage Packaging Market By Beverage Types (Non-Alcoholic, Alcoholic & Dairy), Packaging Types (Bottle, Can, Pouch, Carton, Draught, Bulk & Others), Material (Glass, Plastic, PET, HDPE, Metal, Paper-Board & Others) - Global Trends & Forecast To 2018
- Caps & Closures Market by Raw Material (Plastic, Metal & Others), Applications (Food, Beverage, Personal Care & Home Care, Pharma & Industrial), Types (Plastic: Screw, Dispensing, Metal: Screw & Lug, Can Ends, Others) - Global Trends & Forecast to 2018
- Latest Trends and Key Issues in the Chilean Retail Packaging Market - The outlook for primary packaging containers, closures and outers
- Leisure and Personal Goods Specialist Retailers in Peru