Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 04/10/2014 -- Egypt's telecoms market is poised for a new phase of competition following the award of unified telecoms licenses to the country's telecoms service providers. Fixed-line incumbent operator Telecom Egypt is keen to enter the mobile market while mobile operators Mobinil, Vodacom and Etisalat would see the concession as an opportunity to developed converged telecoms services for business and residential customers. We expect this development to attract much needed investments in fixed and mobile network development over the next few years, but caution that investors would remain mindful of the political and economic environments in the run-up to new general elections.
- The mobile market grew by 2.4% q-o-q in Q413 and 2.9% y-o-y in FY13, compared to 3.3% q-o-q and 16.5% y-o-y respectively during the same period in 2012.
- The fixed-line market fell by 20.3% y-o-y in FY13, compared to a decline of 1.8% in FY12, owing to the disconnection of lines over unpaid bills in Q213.
- The broadband market grew by 17.2% in FY13, driven strong growth in mobile broadband subscriptions.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Egypt dropped one place to 12th position in our Risk/Reward Ratings (RRR) table with an aggregate score of 45, compared to the regional average score of 51.4. The country continues to be held back by weak Industry Rewards and Country Rewards scores, which reflect the low ARPU levels in the mobile market and relatively low GDP per capita and urbanisation rate compared to some other countries in the region.
Key Trends And Developments
Egypt's National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (NTRA) has approved the unified licence scheme which will enable telecoms service providers to operate fixed-line and mobile networks. The details of the unified license have been sent to the cabinet's economic committee for ratification and final approval by the cabinet. The move will enable fixed-line incumbent and broadband provider Telecom Egypt to offer mobile services as well as allow mobile operators Vodafone, Mobinil and Etisalat to launch fixed voice and data services. Mobinil and Vodafone already provide fixed broadband services but could now expand their services to include multiple voice, data and, possibly, IPTV services.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Chile Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Peru Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Colombia Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Italy Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- China Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- West & Central Africa Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Austria Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Turkey Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Greece Telecommunications Report Q2 2014