Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 04/10/2014 -- Oman's telecoms markets are developing rapidly, with demand for data and value added services the fastest area of growth. Wireless data services have seen the strongest growth in terms of dedicated and voice and data subscriptions. Demand for smartphones has boosted subscription growth, while improved international connectivity is at the same time driving down the cost of services and deepening the market Total subscriptions are also continuing to increase, with opportunities existing due to continued population growth. However, saturation will ultimately be reached over the medium term and we therefore expect operators to shift their strategy towards upselling higher value services to existing customers to sustain revenue growth.
- Mobile subscriptions increased to 5.546mn in Q313, a penetration of 153.1%.
- Operators are under pressure from IP substitution of SMS services in favour of Whatsapp, Viber and other services. SMS volumes were down 46.7% y-o-y to 566mn in Q213.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends And Developments
Oman is a relatively liberalised market by regional standards, but it could move even further ahead of its peers with the privatisation of some its stake in incumbent operator Omantel. On September 17 2013, Oman's government announced plans to sell a 19% stake in Omantel, with Bank Muscat advising the sale. The stake is valued at about OMR221mn (US$575mn) based on the company's current market value. The Omani government currently owns a 70% stake in Omantel and would retain a 51% stake in the operator after this round of privatisation. The sale should introduce investment and expertise into the market, which would be particularly beneficial for the development of the wireline segment.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Chile Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Peru Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Colombia Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Italy Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- China Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- West & Central Africa Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Austria Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Turkey Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Greece Telecommunications Report Q2 2014