Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 01/08/2013 -- BMI View: The US mobile market is one of the world leaders in terms of new technologies and advancements. The launch of LTE technology in 2010, and market leader Verizon has around 50% of LTE subscribers in the world. As a result, US mobile operators have retained high ARPU figures. With the release of the LTE-compatible iPhone 5, we expect the data services market to experience a strong boom in the second half of 2012, buoying up revenues for the main operators which offer the popular hansdset.
- BMI estimates the mobile market in the US reached 339.1mn subscribers at the end of Q212. This is a year-on-year (y-o-y) increase of 5%. The number of net additions in the year ended June 2012 was 16.243mn.
- BMI estimates there were around 92.268mn fixed telephony subscribers in the market at the end of Q212. All operators reported declines y-o-y. AT&T had the largest market share, 39.9%, with 36.8mn subscribers.
- The NCTA revealed there were 103.9mn subscribers in Q212.
- The broadband market reached 89.6mn according to BMI estimates.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends & Developments
The US House Intelligence Committee held a public hearing on national security threats posed by Chinese telecoms equipment manufacturers ZTE and Huawei Technologies on September 13. The two vendors are being scrutinised for their alleged ties to the Chinese government and military.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), is to evaluate its rules regarding how much spectrum a carrier is allowed to hold. The commission is scheduled to vote on the rules on September 28.
The FCC released its Eighth Broadband Report on August 23 2012, revealing that 19mn Americans still do not have access to broadband services. Of these, 14.5mn are in rural areas - one quarter of the rural US population.
AT&T is to pay US$600mn to acquire wireless spectrum company Nextwave Wireless. The deal will help the company bolster its capacity to handle demand for mobile broadband services. AT&T also announced it would shut down its 2G networks by 2017, in order to utilise its spectrum in a more efficient manner.
C Spire Wireless has selected Alcatel-Lucent to build its preliminary LTE network. C Spire is to invest US$60mn in the initial phase, which will reach 2,700km2.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- United Kingdom Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- United Arab Emirates Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- Canada Telecommunications Report Q4 2012
- United States Cellular Corporation- Strategy and SWOT Report
- United States Agribusiness Report Q4 2012
- United States Consumer Electronics Report Q4 2012
- United States Patient Monitoring Market Outlook to 2018 - Fetal Monitors, Multiparameter Patient Monitoring, Neonatal Monitors, Non-Invasive Blood Pressure Monitors and Others
- United States Power Report Q4 2012
- United States Information Technology Report Q4 2012
- United States Dental Devices Market Outlook to 2018 - CAD/CAM Dental Systems, Dental Chairs and Equipment, Dental Implants, Biomaterials and Crowns and Bridges and Others