Naperville, IL -- (ReleaseWire) -- 03/24/2014 -- Reportstack, provider of premium market research reports announces the addition of PharmaPoint: Type 2 Diabetes - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022 - Event-Driven Update market report to its offering
PharmaPoint: Type 2 Diabetes - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022 - Event-Driven Update
The type 2 diabetes market is mature and crowded with inexpensive generics. Despite being marked by a late-stage pipeline filled with me-too drugs, this market will undergo substantial growth between 2012 and 2022, more than doubling over this period. The main drivers of growth will be the dramatic increase in disease prevalence and physicians efforts to delay disease progression and reduce the costly burden of diabetic complications through the use of combination therapies and novel branded drugs. In the emerging markets in particular, uptake of branded drugs will increase due to rapid economic growth. We anticipate that the type 2 diabetes market will not experience a fundamental shift in the classes of drugs that are preferred by physicians. Rapid uptake of drugs from the novel class of SGLT-2 inhibitors will occur; however, DPP-4 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists will continue dominating the noninsulin type 2 diabetes space. GLP-1 receptor agonists will experience the fastest growth of all classes (CAGR of 17%), due to their weight-loss effects and their novel once-weekly administration, which is preferable to the standard once- or twice-daily therapies.
Key Questions Answered
- Although the T2D market has numerous well-established therapies, it is marked by the presence of a number of unmet needs in current treatments. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the T2D market?
- The late-stage T2D pipeline is heavily populated with me-too drugs from the classes of GLP-1 receptor agonists, DPP-4 inhibitors and SGLT-2 inhibitors. Only one drug in Phase III development is first-inclass but resembles the me-too drugs in many aspects. Will the latestage drugs make a significant impact on the T2D market? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the highest CAGR, and why?
- The diagnosed prevalence of T2D in the world skyrocketed in the past 10 years and will continue increasing at the fast pace. How will epidemiological changes impact the growth of the future market?
- The main driver of the enormous expansion of the T2D market will be the dramatic increase in disease prevalence, which is attributable to increased life expectancy and an increasingly sedentary and stressful lifestyle.
- The second largest driver will be the physicians efforts to delay disease progression through the use of combination therapies and novel branded drugs.
- With the recent therapeutic guidelines putting emphasis on a patient-tailored approach in treating type 2 diabetes, pharmaceutical companies will achieve considerable success with their me-too drugs.
- In the future, companies will have to shift their focus towards competitive pricing and towards niche drugs aimed at smaller patient groups.
- To date, no drug has demonstrated sustainable efficacy in the treatment of T2D. This unmet need presents a large opportunity for investment by drug developers.
- Overview of T2D, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines._x000D_
- Annualized T2D therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2012 and forecast for ten years to 2022._x000D_
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the T2D therapeutics market._x000D_
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs._x000D_
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global T2D therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global T2D therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global T2D therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global T2D therapeutics market from 2012-2022.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Merck & Co
Johnson & Johnson
To view the table of contents for this market research report please visit