Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 06/17/2014 -- With growth of the Slovenian economy expected to remain in negative territory (or minimally positive at best) throughout 2014, we do not envisage a major positive shift in private spending. Elevated unemployment levels and benefit cuts will continue to weigh down discretionary spending, with prices of certain goods rising following the mid-2013 implementation of higher value-added tax (VAT) rates.
Headline Industry Data
- Food consumption (local currency) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +0.2%; compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to 2018: +1.0%
- Per capita food consumption (local currency) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: -0.0%; CAGR to 2018: +0.8%
- Alcoholic drinks value (local currency) sales growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +1.2%; compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to 2018: +1.9%
- Soft drinks value (local currency) sales growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +1.8%; CAGR to 2018: +2.8%
- Total mass grocery retail value (local currency) sales growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +2.6%; compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to 2018: +4.2%
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Company Trends
Agrokor Closing In On Mercator Purchase: Slovenia's food retailers have been largely unable to avoid the severe challenges faced by so many food and drink companies operating in the Balkan region. Slovenia's leading food retailer Mercator, which has a strong presence in the Balkans, saw its share price decline by nearly 70% between late 2011 and late 2013. This was a company with seemingly exciting prospects in the region, as it expanded beyond its core domestic base into markets such as Croatia and Serbia. Organised retail here was still fairly underdeveloped, and the opportunities on offer, while exciting for a regional retailer like Mercator, were not quite on a large enough scale to attract the likes of UK-based Tesco and France-based Carrefour.
After being paired with Agrokor, a Croatian food and drink giant and the country's largest private company, a deal was agreed in principle in June 2013 that Agrokor would buy Mercator for EUR240mn. Negotiations...
The Slovenia Food & Drink Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts for food and drink expenditure, consumption, sales, and imports/exports and forecasts for the mass grocery retail sector. The report also includes analyses of major regulatory developments, the background macroeconomic outlook and competitive landscape comparing national and multinational companies by leading products and services, sales, investments, partners and expansion strategies.
BMI's Slovenia Food & Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, sector analysts, business investors, trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the food and drink industry and the mass grocery retail market in Slovenia.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Bahrain Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Chile Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Germany Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Serbia Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Brazil Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Saudi Arabia Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- United Arab Emirates Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Indonesia Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Pakistan Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- China Food & Drink Report Q3 2014