Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 10/23/2012 -- Domestic demand in South Korea in the short term is likely to be impaired by the slowdown in economic activity, as the unemployment rate continues to rise and high household debt weighs on consumption spending. We therefore expect South Korea's real GDP growth to slow to a below-consensus 1.9% in 2012. The outlook is more positive in the longer term due to healthy population growth and rising incomes.
Headline Industry Data (local currency)
- 2012 per capita food consumption = +3.7%; forecast to 2016 = +20.9%
- 2012 alcoholic drink value sales = +5.0%; forecast to 2016 = +23.6%
- 2012 soft drink value sales = +3.7%; forecast to 2016 = +25.6%
- 2012 mass grocery retail (MGR) sales = +4.5%; forecast to 2016 = +43.5%
Key Industry Trends And Developments
Greater Diversity In South Korean Beer Market - South Korea is experiencing greater diversity in its beer market. Supported by growing consumer awareness of the different beer varieties, aggressive product innovation efforts from domestic and foreign brewers and accelerating premiumisation, local consumers are demanding greater variety in beer products. Seemingly bearing out a burgeoning consumer appetite for different beer varieties to locally produced beer, recent figures show imports of beer to South Korea surged by a massive 64% in value terms between 2009 and 2011,
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
FamilyMart Signals Expansion In South Korea - Japanese retailer FamilyMart has outlined plans for further expansion in South Korea, where it operates just over 7,200 convenience stores. The retailer has operated in the country since 1990 and says it is the leading convenience store operator in the market. In addition to launching a new chain under the Cu banner, the retailer will increase store openings in selected 'market niches' in the country, such as in hospitals or other public facilities. The convenience retail sector is expected to be the outperformer among the various retail sectors in South Korea, with sales forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.4% through to 2016.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- South Africa Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- United Arab Emirates Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Italy Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Nigeria Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- France Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Thailand Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Hungary Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Bulgaria Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Central America Food and Drink Report Q3 2012
- Slovakia Food & Drink Report Q3 2012