The CES show represents Nokia’s new coming out party. Will anyone show up?
This is the first really big effort to save Nokia from new CEO Stephen Elop. One way or the other this will leave a mark.
Motorola ruled this space until they misfired in the 1990′s. Nokia took over as the number one competitor for more than a decade. Next Apple and Google took the lead from Nokia in the smart phone market.
The marketplace has grown and changed from analog to digital handsets and now to super smart phones.
Each time the industry moves to a new segment, the leader changes.
Can Nokia recover? Don’t know. Did Motorola?
Nokia can recover, but so much depends on their approach to the marketplace.
1. They have to update and expand their brand to include smart phones, not just handsets.
2. Then they have to offer a compelling handset and experience.
3. Finally, they have to create an awareness and desire in the marketplace for their gear. They have to create the right inviting environment.
This is a very tall order and the chances of success so far over the last few years have been poor.
They are now partnering with Microsoft. Will that do it? No way to know in advance. Microsoft has also struggled in this space over the last decade.
Let’s hope for the best for Nokia, their workers and investors.
They have been on an uphill journey over the last few years. Will that change? We’ll see.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
These comments may be quoted in news stories.
Please attribute to Jeff Kagan, Tech Analyst with www.jeffKAGAN.com
If you would like to discuss, call me at 770-579-5810 or send an email to jeff@JeffKAGAN.com
To be added or removed from this mailing list for comment, please send me an email.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Jeff KAGAN| Tech Analyst www.jeffKAGAN.com
Analyst sharing perspective on the changing industry for 25 years
~ Also Columnist, Author, Consultant, Speaker
~ Column http://www.ectnews.com/perl/section/jeff_kagan/
Phone 770-579-5810 Email jeff@jeffKAGAN.com
Other press releases from Jeff Kagan
- Apple iPhone Sales Weaker Than Expected | Jeff Kagan Industry Analyst - January 14th, 2013
- Will FACEBOOK Launch Phone This Week? | Jeff Kagan Industry Analyst - January 13th, 2013
- Nokia Not Out of Woods Yet | Jeff Kagan Wireless Analyst - January 10th, 2013
- Why Microsoft Windows 8 Holiday Sales Were Soft, Jeff Kagan Tech Analyst - January 5th, 2013
- Sprint Nextel Acquiring Clearwire for Wireless Data | Jeff Kagan Industry Analyst - December 17th, 2012
Contact InformationJeff Kagan
Title: Tech Analyst ~ Wireless Industry Analyst ~ Telecom Industry Analyst
PO Box 670562
Marietta, GA 30066
Phone: 770 579 5810