Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 07/26/2012 -- BMI expects the Bahrain IT market will grow by around 6% in 2012, despite political unrest on the streets of Manama. The ongoing disturbances could have positive and negative consequences for Bahrain, but in 2011 consumer spending continued to grow impressively. Household spending in Bahrain is forecast to tick higher in 2012 and despite remaining economic uncertainties, increased demand for mobility and lower prices, as well as greater vendor and channel sales flexibility will drive demand, along with a resumption of low single-digit population growth. Demand for new technologies such LED and 3D TV sets and 3G phones and smartphones will also provide growth opportunities.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer sales: US$206mn in 2011 to US$219mn in 2012, +6% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to macroeconomic factors, but growth areas will include notebooks, tablets and ultrabooks.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
AV sales: US$330mn in 2011 to US$349mn in 2012, +6% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to macroeconomic factors, with the main driver being demand for flatscreen TV sets.
Handset sales: US$73mn in 2011 to US$80mn in 2012, +9% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst modification, but demand for smartphones will continue to expand.
Risk/Rewards Rating: Bahrain's score was 51.1 out of 100.0, with a lower Country Risk score constraining its overall rating. Bahrain took 7th place in our latest RRR table, but provided that the political situation stabilises, the country should continue to be a lucrative market for consumer electronics devices over the forecast period.
Key Trends & Developments
- In the consumer PC segment, increasing internet and broadband penetration remains a key driver. Bahraini telecoms operators such as Zain have launched a series of new services and promotions targeted at PC users. The packages allowed subscribers to choose from a selection of payment instalment plans.
- We expect Bahraini AV sales will be maintained in 2012 by product innovation, with drivers including improved display quality, wider screens as well as design and features such as wireless technology.
- Demand for so-called 'smart TV sets has grown as consumers see TV sets as more than simply entertainment devices. Many TV sets from Bahraini electronics retailers now offer features such as DNLA and Wi-Fi for easy sharing of photos, music and movies.
- Operators have identified smartphones as an opportunity to boost data average revenue per user. Operator discounts and promotions will continue to be important drivers of the market, particularly as Bahraini operators are now promoting an increasing number of prepaid data tariffs for smartphones.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Consumer Goods research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Czech Republic Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Bulgaria Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Chile Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Peru Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Indonesia Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Philippines Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- South Africa Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Mexico Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- Turkey Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012
- China Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012