Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 05/16/2014 -- Digicel and CWC expand LTE footprint in the region
The telecoms markets in most Caribbean countries have been progressively liberalised, with operators able to offer a full range of telecom services. The telecom sector remains one of the region's major growth industries, particularly in the mobile telephony and data sectors.
Cable & Wireless (operating services under the LIME brand) is the dominant telecom provider in most regional markets, with Digicel and other players offering effective competition, particularly in the mobile telephony sector. Investment in telecoms has been affected by the global financial crisis, as also by local phenomena which can weaken the tourist sector in particular islands. This has led to reduced revenue for operators and scaled-back government programmes. A number of economies have seen falling GDP during the last two years, exacerbated by poor weather, volcanic activity (in Montserrat), or a continuing downturn in trade for certain primary goods with major overseas markets.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
This report analyses the telecom market in the Caribbean, including recent regulatory measures and statistics, telecom infrastructure updates and developments in key sectors including mobile, broadband and fixed-telephony. It provides data and analyses on fixed-line and mobile operators as well as ISPs, and assesses the state of market liberalisation.
- UTS sells loss-making subsidiaries in Suriname and Saint Kitts & Nevis;
- TATT to launch an IXP in Trinidad by mid-2014;
- Caribbean Research and Education Network (CaribNET) network delivers connectivity to international research stations;
- Digicel switches on HSPA in the BVI, with 95% coverage;
- C&W invests $30 million in Cayman Island infrastructure;
- ECTEL updates schedule on release of 700MHz spectrum;
- Digicel expands LTE in Antigua;
- C&W sells Bermudan fixed-line business;
- Columbus International acquires Karib Cable;
- operators expand FttP in several markets;
- HSPA+ available in most countries, with LTE emerging as operators focus investment on mobile networks;
- regulatory developments;
- submarine cable infrastructure deployments;
- number portability;
- operator data updates;
- market developments to early 2014.
Data in this report is the latest available at the time of preparation and may not be for the current year
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Australia - Telecoms Industry - Statistics and Forecasts
- New Zealand - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts
- Australia Telecoms Market Analysis - Top Trends Moving into 2014
- Taiwan - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts
- India - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts
- South Korea - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts
- United Kingdom - Telecoms, IP Networks, Digital Media and Forecasts
- Singapore - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband
- Philippines - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts
- Chile - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts