Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 06/16/2014 -- Core Views:
- Taiwan's economy slowed in Q114 likely on the back of a moderating expansion in private consumption and exports. While we remain fairly constructive on Taiwan's trade prospects in the near term, we do not believe that recovering demand in the US and Europe will be able to overcome the drag from China's slowing economy, which will inadvertently weigh on the island's economy given its heavy reliance on the mainland. We therefore are happy to maintain our below-consensus (3.2%) real GDP growth forecast of 3.0%.
- From a political perspective, the recent student protests against the trade pact with mainland China may catalyse a widening divide within the ruling Kuomintang (KMT) party, which would inadvertently lead to some instability within the political environment. In the event that the trade pact is rescinded, Taiwan could suffer longer-term economic implications stemming from not only a deterioration in ties with China, but also the inability to establish much-needed free trade agreements with its other trade partners.
- The recent acceleration in Taiwan's consumer price inflation is more likely a result of weather-related food price inflation than a sustained pickup in economic activity. As pressures from food prices start to abate, while economic growth remains fairly moderate, inflationary pressures will remain well contained. We expect monetary conditions to remain accommodative given that the central bank remains cautious towards the island's economic growth prospects.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Risks To Outlook
- Downside Risks To Growth Forecast: Should we see a re-emergence of a crisis in the eurozone, or a downward spiral in China's economy, we can expect Taiwan to head into a sharp recession
The Taiwan Business Forecast Report helps businesses with market assessment, strategic planning and decision making to promote growth and profitability in Taiwan and is an essential tool for CEOs, Chairmen, Finance Directors/CFOs, Managing Directors, Marketing/Sales Directors with commercial interests in this emerging market..
An influential new analysis of Taiwan's economic, political and financial prospects through end-2017, just published by award-winning forecasters, Business Monitor International (BMI).
- Forecast the pace and stability of Taiwan's economic and industry growth through end-2017.
- Identify and evaluate adverse political and economic trends, to facilitate risk mitigation.
- Assess the critical shortcomings of the business environment that pose hidden barriers and costs to corporate profitability.
- Contextualise Taiwan's country risks against regional peers using BMI's country comparative Risk Ratings system.
- Evaluate external threats to doing business in Taiwan, including currency volatility, the commodity price boom and protectionist policies.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Country Reports research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Sri Lanka Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Russia Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Latvia Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Trinidad & Tobago Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Germany Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Bosnia-Herzegovina Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Egypt Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Cameroon Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Spain Business Forecast Report Q3 2014
- Australia Business Forecast Report Q3 2014