Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 02/19/2014 -- The UK IT market remains a lucrative location for vendors, with it being home to one of the largest outsourced public service markets. There are also areas of fast growth, particularly around emerging technologies such as datacentres and cloud services and Big Data. There is also downside, as spending is squeezed by fiscal austerity measures, fragile business and consumer confidence, and a decline in desktop and notebook shipments. Furthermore, the failure of high profile public IT projects in recent years has heightened public scepticism about further projects. Taking these factors into account, UK IT spending is forecast to increase 2.4%, to GBP53.449bn in 2013, slightly faster growth than forecast in the previous update, as the macroeconomic environment shows signs of strengthening.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Computer Hardware Sales: GBP11.748bn in 2012 to GBP11.972bn in 2013, +1.9% in local currency terms. A boom in tablet sales has offset the decline in purchases of desktop and notebooks.
- Software Sales: GBP7.571bn in 2012 to GBP7.739bn in 2013, +2.2% in local currency terms. Software spending growth is occurring in key areas, such as security solutions and big data analytics, while Windows 8/8.1 upgrades are also a factor.
- IT Services Sales: GBP32.893bn in 2012 to GBP33.737bn in 2013, +2.6% in local currency terms. Despite the coalitions fiscal austerity drive outsourcing demand from the public sector remains strong, and cloud computing deployments are another growth opportunity for vendors.
Key Trends And Developments
The UK hardware market has been hit by the same trends as other developed markets, with tablet sales booming and desktop and notebook shipments in decline. This is expected to continue in 2014, but the trend will become less pronounced as form factors begin to blend. Tablet sales have been driven by Apple's iPad, and more recently lower cost Android alternatives. However, the tablet-notebook distinction will become increasingly blurred as Windows partner vendors innovate with hybrid designs, for instance Microsoft's own Surface tablet. BMI expects such hybrid designs to grow in popularity as customers seek devices that offer both the mobility and ease of consumption of tablets, without sacrificing productivity functions.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Computer Technology research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- United States Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- United Arab Emirates Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- Saudi Arabia Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- Canada Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- Poland Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- South Africa Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- Venezuela Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- Turkey Information Technology Report Q2 2014
- Sweden Information Technology Report Q1 2014
- Colombia Information Technology Report Q1 2014