Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 03/17/2014 -- Iran's pharmaceutical market is developing. Access to basic healthcare is widespread, reaching about 90% of the rural population and almost the entire urban population. The use of locally produced generic drugs is widespread, especially in the government healthcare sector. Furthermore, self-medication is common among the population, creating a strong (if not always legitimate) over-the-counter (OTC) drug market. BMI estimates that the total market was worth IRR51.8bn (US$4.2bn) in 2012, with OTC medicines accounting for around 10-15% of the market by value.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: IRR51,766bn (US$4.24bn) in 2012 to IRR69,973bn (US$2.12mn) in 2013; +35.2% in local currency terms and -50.0% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: IRR363,006bn (US$29.76bn) in 2012 to IRR475,447bn (US$23.19bn) in 2013; +31.0% in local currency terms and -22.1% in US dollar terms.
Risk/Reward Rating: Iran's business environment received a substantially lower appraisal in Q114, with a score of 34.3 out of 100. The country fell four places in the regional rankings to 22nd out of 30 countries in the Middle East and Africa region in Q114 compared with 18th in the previous quarter. Its overall score of 34.3 is markedly below the regional average of 42.0. Generally speaking, Iran benefits from a large and growing population and relatively widespread access to healthcare services. However, its regulatory regime - including intellectual property (IP) rights, political and economic situation - are highly questionable, and combine to create a low score for the risk variable.
Key Trends And Developments
- In October 2013, Iranian drugmaker, Osvah Pharmaceutical Company launched the production line of active pharmaceutical ingredient fingolimod, according to local news source Khabar Online. Fingolimod is an oral medication for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). According to Osvah, the Iranian Health Ministry has issued the necessary licence for the production of fingolimod in the country. Gilenya, produced by Novartis, reached blockbuster status in 2012, when its global sales increased approximately 2.5 fold to reach US$1.2bn - up from US$494mn in 2011. Gilenya sales are forecast to reach US$1.8bn in 2013 and US$2.2bn in 2014 according to Bloomberg estimates.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Russia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Saudi Arabia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Estonia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Qatar Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Czech Republic Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- United Arab Emirates Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Serbia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Romania Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- United Kingdom Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014