Boston, MA -- (ReleaseWire) -- 07/01/2014 -- Growth in total oral care current value sales in 2012 was down marginally relative to 2011; this was mainly due to the lower growth in average unit prices due to the maturity of a number of categories. The growth in total current value sales was still stronger than the CAGR for the entire review period mainly due to the rising demand for more sophisticated and value added products. Improvements in oral health standards and the rising demand for added value products also help to sustain robust growth in volume and current value terms for categories such as mouthwash/dental rinses, electric toothbrushes, manual toothbrushes and dental floss.
Colgate-Palmolive continued to lead the market in oral care with a current value share of 40%. The company?s strong brand heritage and strong image of trust and quality has allowed the company to maintain its leading position. The company ranked second in the following sub-categories toothpaste, mouthwash/dental rinses, battery toothbrush units and replacement heads. GlaxoSmithKline ranked second with current value share of 27%; offering a broad range of products under the Aquafresh and Macleans brand. The company came first in the toothpaste subcategory and second in denture care. Gillette South Africa ranked third with a current value share of 12% with its Oral-B range. Gillette held leading positions in the following categories dental floss, manual toothbrushes, battery toothbrush replacement units and heads and electric toothbrush units and replacement heads. Johnson & Johnson offers the Listerine, Jordan and Reach brands and ranked fourth with a current value share of 5%. Other prominent players included Unilever and Sunpak.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The oral care market is expected to show moderate growth for sub-categories including manual toothbrushes, electric toothbrush units and replacement heads. With leading market players expanding their efforts to try to educate mass South African?s about basic oral care; efforts are expected to drive growth of the category. According to chief executive of the South African Dental Association, Maretha Smit,? compared with countries like Brazil, the level of understanding the importance of oral hygiene and the implications of oral ill health was exceptionally low in South Africa?. Increased efforts toward education are likely to positively drive the growth of this segment.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Oral Care industry in South Africa with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Oral Care industry in South Africa, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Oral Care in South Africa market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Oral Care in South Africa?
- What are the major brands in South Africa?
- Which type of toothpaste is most popular?
- How are sales of manual versus power toothbrushes faring?
Reasons to Get this Report
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
Product coverage: Dental Floss, Denture Care, Mouth Fresheners, Mouthwashes/Dental Rinses, Tooth Whiteners, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste.
Data coverage: market sizes (historic and forecasts), company shares, brand shares and distribution data.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Consumer Goods research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- The Future of the Oral Hygiene Market in South Africa to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape
- The Future of the Oral Hygiene Market in South Africa to 2017
- Denture Care Market in South Africa: Market Profile to 2017
- The Future of the Skincare Market in South Africa to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape
- Denture Care Market in South Africa to 2017
- The Future of the Skincare Market in South Africa to 2017
- Facial Care Market in South Africa to 2017
- The Future of the Oral Hygiene Market in South Korea to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape
- Beauty and Personal Care in South Africa
- The Future of the Make-up Market in South Africa to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape